What is Protandim?
Just five simple ingredients..
The aging problem..
There’s nothing like a new car, and you never forget the day your drive your first one off the lot. But eventually your new car ages, the catalytic converter becomes less effective, the exhaust isn’t very clean, things begin to rust and the engine suffers wear and tear.
Our cells are like car engines. They have the same combustion process, produce some of the same byproducts and clean up with similar catalytic converters. When we’re young, our enzymes (our cells’ catalytic converters) function well and do a good job cleaning the toxic byproducts our bodies generate. But unfortunately, like cars, our bodies don’t always function like new. As we age, our bodies produce more free radicals and less of the special enzymes that fight free radicals causing oxidative stress. The damage by oxidative stress leads to the symptoms of aging.
We obtain energy by burning fuel with oxygen–that is, by combining digested food with oxygen from the air we breathe. This is a controlled metabolic process that, unfortunately, also generates dangerous byproducts. These include free radicals–electronically unstable atoms or molecules capable of stripping electrons from any other molecules they meet in an effort to achieve stability. In their wake they create even more unstable molecules that attack their neighbors in domino-like chain reactions. This causes toxic effects that damage all components of the cell, including proteins, lipids and DNA.
What is oxidative stress?
Oxidative stress represents an imbalance between the production of oxygen and the body’s ability to detoxify and repair the damage caused at the cellular level. In other words, although we need oxygen to live, high concentrations of it are actually corrosive and toxic.
While one antioxidant molecule can fight only one or two free radicals before it is depleted, the body’s free radical-fighting enzymes can each eliminate up to 1 million molecules per second, every second. The most effective way to fight free radicals and the oxidative stress they cause is to trigger the body to produce its own free radical-fighting enzymes. Protandim activates the body’s natural enzymes that subtantially reduce free radicals.
How Protandim works..
Our bodies already contain the information how to effectively combat stressful situations, such as oxidative stress and chronic inflammation. That information is stored in our genes. The secret lies in being able to instruct cells regarding the implementation of that information. Enter Protandim.
Protandim, the most potent commercially available Nrf2 Synergizer dietary supplement on the market, induces cells to produce more of the genetically encoded catalytic defense systems. Every enzyme molecule produced by this approach can eliminate up to 1 million free radicals per second, every second.
Protandim achieves this feat by activating a signaling molecule called Nrf2, the master regulator of the body’s aging process. Nrf2 can switch on protective genes and switch off genes that may have a negative effect on health.
When this protein messenger, Nrf2, is activated, it enters the nucleus of every cell and turns on hundreds of the body’s survival genes. These genes enable cells to survive in the face of several different kinds of stress, especially oxidative stress. Nrf2 also affects hundreds of other genes, pro-inflammatory and pro-fibrotic genes, by turning them down.
Thus Protandim, a master regulator of the aging process and an Nrf2 synergizer, activates survival genes, including antioxidant genes that keep us safe from free radicals and oxidants. It also turns down genes that perpetuate inflammation and genes that encourage slow, progressive fibrosis to take place. Together these actions provide a remarkable promise of protections from many kinds of age-related health conditions.
Patents – LifeVantage has 4 patents on Protandim.
Protandim is protected by four patents. Its patents protect the product from patent infringement-another party duplicating its formula and then creating and marketing an identical product. Every time a new patent is issued, Protandim, The Nrf2 Synergizer, is protected for an extended and additional period of time.
United States Patent No. 7,241,461
“Compositions And Methods For Alleviating Inflammation And Oxidative Stress In A Mammal.”
This is a composition patent.
United States Patent No. 7,384,655
“The Preparation Of Compositions And Methods To Alleviate Inflammation And Oxidative Stress In A Mammal.”
This patent is a continuation of the first patent.
United States Patent No. 7,579,026
“Compositions And Methods For Enhancing Antioxidant Enzyme Activity And Reducing C-Reactive Protein Levels.”
This patent is a divisional patent because it addresses method rather than composition.
United States Patent No. 7,923,045
“Compositions And Methods For Alleviating Inflammation And Oxidative Stress In A Mammal.”
This patent is a continuation of the first patent.
About U.S. Patents
A patent is the grant of a property right to the inventor, issued by the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Generally, the term of a new patent is 20 years from the date on which the application for the patent was filed in the United States or, in special cases, from the date an earlier related application was filed, subject to the payment of maintenance fees.
U.S. patent grants are effective only within the United States, U.S. territories and U.S. possessions. Under certain circumstances, patent term extensions or adjustments may be available. Since the rights granted by a U.S. patent extend only throughout the territory of the United States and have no effect in a foreign country; an inventor who wishes patent protection in other countries must apply for a patent in each of the other countries or in regional patent offices. Almost every country has its own patent law, and a person desiring a patent in a particular country must make an application for patent in that country, in accordance with the requirements of that country.
The right conferred by the patent grant is, in the language of the statute and of the grant itself, “the right to exclude others from making, using, offering for sale, or selling” the invention in the United States or “importing” the invention into the United States. What is granted is not the right to make, use, offer for sale, sell or import, but the right toexclude others from making, using, offering for sale, selling or importing the invention. Once a patent is issued, the patentee must enforce the patent.
The Constitution of the United States gives Congress the power to enact laws relating to patents. In Article I, section 8, it reads “Congress shall have power . . . to promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries.” Under this power Congress has from time to time enacted various laws relating to patents. The first patent law was enacted in 1790.
Peer Reviewed Studies – There are currently 11 published scientific studies on Protandim.
“The Induction of Human Superoxide Dismutase and Catalase In Vivo: A Fundamentally New Approach to Antioxidant Therapy”
- Publication:Free Radical Biology & Medicine, Jan. 15, 2006
- Authors: S.K. Nelson, S.K. Bose, G.K. Grunwald, P. Myhill, J.M. McCord, Webb-Waring Institute for Cancer, Aging and Antioxidant – Research, University of Colorado Denver
- In this study Protandim was administered to healthy humans ages 20 to 78 years old. After 30 days, TBARS declined by an average of 40 percent.
- *Protandim eliminated the age-related increase in cell aging factors by increasing the body’s antioxidant defenses.
“Synergistic Induction of Heme Oxygenase-1 by the Components of the Antioxidant Supplement Protandim”
- Publication:Free Radical Biology & Medicine, Feb. 1, 2009
- Authors: K. Velmurugan, J. Alam, J.M. McCord, S. Pugazhenthi, Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Denver
- This study explored whether components of Protandim acted in a synergistic manner in certain cells, specifically if it would induce heme oxygenase. When components were tested alone, only curcumin showed minimal induction. Together they produced a strong, synergistic induction.
- * Protandim produced a 300 increase increase in glutathione, a key antioxidant and anti-aging factor. Also, the supplement’s patented formula provides a strong synergy much greater than the sum of its parts.
“Protandim, a Fundamentally New Antioxidant Approach in Chemoprevention Using Mouse Two-Stage Skin Carcinogenesis As A Model”
- Publication:PLoS One, April 22, 2009
- Authors: J. Liu, X. Gu, D. Robbins, G. Li, R. Shi, J.M. McCord, Y. Zhao, Department of Pharmacology, Toxicology & Neuroscience, Louisiana State University
- To investigate whether Protandim can suppress tumor formation by a dietary approach, a two-stage mouse skin carcinogenesis study was performed. At the end of the study, both skin tumor incidence and multiplicity were reduced in the mice on the Protandim diet by 33 percent and 57 percent, respectively compared with those on a basal diet.
- * Induction of antioxidant enzymes by Protandim may be practical for cancer prevention.
“Chronic Pulmonary Artery Pressure Elevation is Insufficent to Explain Right Heart Failure”
- Publication: Circulation, Nov. 17, 2009
- Authors: H.J. Bogaard, R. Natarajan, S.C. Henderson, C. S. Long, D. Krakauskas, L. Smithson, R. Ockaili, J.M. McCord, N.F. Voelkel, Divisions of Pulmonary and Critical Care, Virginia Commonwealth University
- This study used a lab model of pulmonary hypertension in rats to explore factors contributing to heart failure in animals. Pulmonary hypertension was induced in rats through a drug and by creating an oxygen-poor environment. The animals pre-treated with Protandim experienced strong cardio-protectitive effects.
- * Protandim protected the animals’ hearts by increasing the expression of protective genes and preventing the formation of scar tissue.
“The Dietary Supplement Protandim Decreases Plasma Osteopontin and Improves Markers of Oxidative Stress in Muscular Dystrophy Mdx Mice”
- Publication:Journal of Deitary Supplements, June 1, 2010
- Authors: M.M. Qureshi, W.C. McClure, N.L. Arevalo, R.E.Rabon, B. Mohr, S.K. Bose, J.M. McCord, B.S. Tseng, University of Colorado Denver, and Mass. General Hospital, Harvard Medical School
- Oxidative damage is thought to be a pertinent factor in the development of Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD), the most common and lethal neuromuscular disorder in children. Researchers used surrogate markers and functional measurers in a dystrophin-deficient mouse model of DMD to determine whether Protandim provides any benefit. After six months on Protandim, a 48 percent average decrease in plasma TBARS and a 57 percent decrease in plasma osteopontin was seen, as well as a 35 percent increase in beneficial protective plasma PON1 activity.
- * Protandim improves markers of oxidative stress and fibrosis in muscular dystrophy mice.
“The Chemopreventive Effects of Protandim: Modulation of p53 Mitochondrial Translocation and Apoptosis During Skin Carcinogenesis”
- Publication:PLoS One, July 30, 2010
- Authors: D. Robbins, X. Gu, R. Shi, J. Liu, F. Wang, J. Ponville, J.M. McCord, Y. Zhao, Department of Pharmacology, Toxicology and Neuroscience, Louisiana State University Health Sciences
- This study explored the biochemical mechanisms that underlie the ability of Protandim to suppress tumors in mice. That ability was previously demonstrated by the authors in a study involving a mouse two-stage model of chemically-induced skin cancer. This study suggested that suppression of p53 and induction of MnSOD may play an important role in the tumor suppressive activity of Protandim.
- * The induction of antioxidant enzymes by Protandim may be a practical and potent approach for cancer prevention.
“Protandim Attenuates Intimal Hyperplasia in Human Saphenous Veins Cultured Ex Vivo A Catalase-Dependent Pathway”
- Publication:Free Radical Biology & Medicine, March 15, 2011
- Authors: B. Joddar, R.K. Reen, M.S. Firstenberg, S. Varadharaj, J.M. McCord, J.L. Zweiler, K.J. Gooch, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Ohio State
- This study examined the biochemical mechanisms that underlie the ability of Protandim to suppress intimal hyperplasia-over-proliferation of cells that line the vessel wall, a common adverse event that limits the effectiveness of vascular surgery. Treatment of human saphenous veins with Protandim blocked intimal hyperplasia and reduced cellular proliferation to that of freshly isolated human saphenous veins.
- * Protandim significantly increased antioxidant enzyme activity in veins while reducing free radical levels, lipid peroxidation and intimal proliferation.
“The Role of Manganese Superoxide Dismutase in Skin Cancer”
- Publication:Enzyme Research, March 23, 2011
- Authors: Delira Robbins and Yunfeng Zhao, Department of Pharmacology, Toxicology & Neuroscience, Louisiana State University Health Sciences
- This study used a two-part model to test the effectiveness of Protandim in chemoprevention. In one approach, researchers applied a SOD mimetic topically to mouse skin. In another approach, Protandim decreased tumor incidence and multiplicity by 33 percent and 57 percent, respectively.
- * Protandim may be a novel approach to chemoprevention.
“Oxidative stress in health and disease: The therapeutic potential of Nrf2 activation”
- University of Colorado
“Protandim does not influence Alveolar Epithelial Permeability or Intrapulmonary Oxidative Stress in Human Subjects with Alcohol Use Disorders”
- Burnham EL, McCord JM, Bose S, Brown LA, House R, Moss M, Gaydos J.
- Division of Pulmonary Sciences and Critical Care Medicine, Univ. of Colorado School of Medicine
“Phytochemical Activation of Nrf2 Protects Human Coronary Artery Endothelial Cells against an Oxidative Challenge”
- Elise L. Donovan, Joe M. McCord, Danielle J. Reuland, Bengamin F. Miller and Karyn L. Hamilton
- Colorado State University
“Protective effect of lipoic acid against oxidative stress is mediated by Keap1/Nrf2-dependent heme oxygenase-1 induction in the RGC-5 cell line.”
- Koriyama Y., Nakayama Y., Matsugo S., Kato S.
- Department of Molecular Neurobiology, Graduate School of Medicine
* Source: PUBMED.GOV
Protandim is a dietary supplement, not a drug. We do not promote or intend to imply or represent that Protandim can prevent, cure, treat or mitigate any disease or class of disease. Protandim is not intended to be an alternative or replacement for any drug or biological product. If you are interested in reviewing the studies, visit www.pubmed.gov and enter “Protandim” in the search box.
ABC Primetime Investigative Report
Genetic Roulette – The Gamble of our Lives
Dr. Perlmutter Intravenous Glutathione
Calls and Audio
Dr. Marvin – Tuesday Night Call
Big Blue Calendar
Big Blue Calendar is a great resource keeping us all connected!
Big Blue is THE calendar of LifeVantage Independent Distributor Meetings. You can view events by state, by date, add events, listen to a 20 minute recorded presentation day or night. Check out this resource!